What is Meant by the Term Flow in Fiction.
Editors, publishers, literary agents, and readers love
edgy and quirky writing
– only not at the expense of writing period.
— Laurie Pawlik-Kienlen
Menstruation in writing is hard to define,
but readers always seem to recognize it. A flowing scientific discipline fiction novel sucks the reader into the story, makes the unbelievable logical and prevents the poor reader from putting the book down until the last word passes into their brain long subsequently dark.
Then, if defining flow is difficult, perhaps the opposite is comprehensible. Choppy, telegraphic, terse, repetitive, dense, lean, or clipped are not terms of amore used by readers. You desire terms similar flowing, engaging, and lucid (see the example below).
Tips to Improve Flow
- Residuum your style between anarchistic and straightforward. Not so unconventional equally to exist weird and non and then straightforward as to exist boring.
- Make transitions betwixt paragraphs and sentences logical. When editing, this may require reordering which is preferable to explaining.
- Clarify your writing scientifically. Find and supercede
sentence beginnings such as pronouns, gerunds (verbs functioning as nouns — they cease in ‘ing) or names.
- Vary sentence length — get comfortable with the grammar of phrases, clauses and commas, and use connectors to improve menses (run across below).
- Break editing into two parts: i) content and two) mechanics. Most editors and writers can’t reliably practice both at the same fourth dimension.
Read your piece of work out-loud. Why? Considering well synthetic sentences tin can be read hands at a
pace. That ways a reader can understand them without pausing or puzzling over meaning.
- Trim the fatty. Readers will skip filler, ignore “blah-blah-apathetic”, flip the page and perhaps toss the book in the existent or electronic garbage. Delete what the reader can infer — resist the urge to explain (RUE) and don’t treat readers similar dummies.
- Occasionally, break paragraphs for accent. In fact, a stand-alone sentence at the terminate of a chapter is powerful.
- Minimize nominalization which is the grammatical conversion of verbs or adjectives to nouns. For example, observe converts to discovery or careless converts to carelessness. Endeavor to brand sentences with the unconverted word.
- Passive voice is appropriate when the intent is to obscure the doer of action: “mistakes were made.” If a character in a book is a politician, a diplomat or is shy then the passive voice is fine. All the same, littering a volume with unnecessary passive voice should exist avoided because it reduces the sense of ongoing activeness.
Plain, if you are going to create interesting and varied sentences, grammatical connectors are a necessity. Faculty at Michigan Land Academy compiled a comprehensive list of connectors. Below is an abridged listing:
Subsequently, although, as, as if, as long as, as much as,
equally before long every bit, as though, because, before, even if, even though,
how, if, in as much, in guild that, lest, now, provided (that),
since, so that, than, that, though, till, unless, until, when, whenever, where, wherever, while.
Accordingly, besides, anyhow, once again, besides, certainly, consequently,
contrarily, finally, further, furthermore, elsewhere, hence,
henceforth, still, in contrast, incidentally, indeed, instead,
likewise, meanwhile, moreover, namely, nevertheless, side by side,
nonetheless, now, otherwise, rather, similarly, and so, subsequently,
still, that is, and so, thereafter, therefore, thus, undoubtedly, yet.
Links to other blogs
- 4 Ways to Keep Your Sentences From All Sounding the Same
- Why Your Writing Sounds Weird (And What You Can Practice About It)
Gabriel García Márquez won the Nobel prize for literature in 1982 afterwards publication of his fantasy book “One Hundred Years of Confinement”. Scholars praise the book for its long and
flowing sentences. Catamenia is hard to define, and so here are a few sentences from the book to make the idea clear:
Many years afterwards, every bit he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aurelaiano Buendia was to remember that afar afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
He sent it to the government, accompanied by numerous descriptions of his experiments and several pages of explanatory sketches, past a messenger who crossed the mountains, got lost in measureless swamps, forded stormy rivers, and was on the point of perishing under the lash of despair, plague, and wild beasts until he found a road that joined the i used past the mules that carried the mail.
That spirit of social initiative disappeared in a short time, pulled away by the fever of the magnets, the astronomical calculations, the dreams of transmutation, and the urge to discover the wonders of the world.
From a clean and agile human, Jose Arcadio Buendia changed into a man lazy in appearance, careless in his dress, with a wild beard that Ursula managed to trim with neat endeavor and a kitchen knife.
Pietro Crespi was young and blond, the about handsome and well-mannered homo who had ever been seen in Macondo, then scrupulous in his apparel that in spite of the suffocating heat he would work in the brocade vest and heavy coat of dark cloth.
“You’re lucky because you know why,” he answered. “As far as I’m concerned, I’ve come to realize only just now that I’m fighting considering of pride.”
“You tin tell me later,” she said. “I forgot that today’s the day to put quicklime on the anthills.”
R. C. Beckett was given a collection of
Fantasy and Scientific discipline Fiction Magazines every bit a teenager and read hundreds of the stories — he was hooked and started writing fiction in 2013. He loves to write difficult science fiction, but can’t assistance adding a scrap of humor. Publications: “Exit Mars” and “Get out Earth” (available on Amazon). “Leave Pluto”, the 3rd in the Exit serial, should exist published in late 2020. He lives in Golden Colorado and is a member of Rocky Mount Fiction Writers. Walking his domestic dog is fundamental to his writing since that’s when he imagines plots for his stories. He also volunteers as a webmaster for non-profit companies including SpecFicWriters.
What is Meant by the Term Flow in Fiction