Which of the Following Activities Can Spread an Sti.
- 1 Sexually transmitted infections
- 2 What is a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
- 3 Who gets STIs?
- 4 How do STIs affect women?
- 5 How exercise you get STIs?
- 6 Tin can STIs cause wellness problems?
- 7 What are the symptoms of STIs?
- 8 How do I get tested for STIs?
- 9 Does a Pap test screen for STIs?
- 10 Do I need to become tested for STIs?
- 11 How tin I get free or depression-price STI testing?
- 12 How are STIs treated?
- 13 If I have an STI, does my partner have it too?
- 14 Exercise medicines sold over the Internet forbid or care for STIs?
- 15 How can I prevent an STI?
- 16 What research is being done on STIs and women?
- 17 Did nosotros answer your question almost STIs?
- 18 Which of the Following Activities Can Spread an Sti
Sexually transmitted infections
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are too chosen sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs.
STIs are usually spread by having vaginal, oral, or anal sex. More than than 9 million women in the Usa are diagnosed with an STI each yr.1 Women often accept more than serious health problems from STIs than men, including infertility.
What is a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
An STI is an infection passed from one person to another person through sexual contact. An infection is when a bacteria, virus, or parasite enters and grows in or on your torso. STIs are also called sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs.
Some STIs tin can be cured and some STIs cannot be cured. For those STIs that cannot exist cured, there are medicines to manage the symptoms.
Who gets STIs?
Nearly xx million people in the U.s. go an STI each year.two These infections affect women and men of all backgrounds and economic levels. Simply half of all new infections are amid immature people 15 to 24 years one-time.2
How do STIs affect women?
Women ofttimes have more than serious health problems from STIs than men:
- Chlamydia and gonorrhea, left untreated, raise the risk of chronic pelvic hurting and life-threatening ectopic pregnancy. Chlamydia and gonorrhea also can cause infertility.
- Untreated syphilis in pregnant women results in infant expiry up to 40% of the fourth dimension.three
- Women take a higher risk than men of getting an STI during unprotected vaginal sex. Unprotected anal sex puts women at even more risk for getting an STI than unprotected vaginal sexual practice.
How exercise you get STIs?
STIs are spread in the post-obit ways:
- Having unprotected (without a safety) vaginal, oral, or anal sex with someone who has an STI. It can be difficult to tell if someone has an STI. STIs tin be spread even if there are no signs or symptoms.
- During genital touching. It is possible to go some STIs, such as syphilis and canker, without having sex.
- Through sexual contact between women who accept sex only with other women
- From a significant or breastfeeding woman to her baby
Tin can STIs cause wellness problems?
Yes. Each STI causes different health problems for women. Certain types of untreated STIs can crusade or pb to:
- Issues getting significant or permanent infertility
- Problems during pregnancy and health bug for the unborn baby
- Infection in other parts of the body
- Organ damage
- Sure types of cancer, such equally cervical cancer
Having certain types of STIs makes it easier for you to become HIV (another STI) if you come into contact with information technology.
What are the symptoms of STIs?
Many STIs have only balmy symptoms or no symptoms at all. When women have symptoms, they may be mistaken for something else, such equally a urinary tract infection or yeast infection. Go tested and then that yous can be treated for the right infection.
How do I get tested for STIs?
Inquire your doctor or nurse about getting tested for STIs. Your medico or nurse can tell you what exam(due south) you may need and how they are done. Testing for STIs is also called STI screening.
STI testing can include:
- Pelvic and physical exam. Your physician looks for signs of infection, such as warts, rashes, or discharge.
- Claret test. A nurse will draw some blood to exam for an STI.
- Urine test. You urinate (pee) into a cup. The urine is so tested for an STI.
- Fluid or tissue sample. Your doctor or nurse uses a cotton fiber swab to take fluid or discharge from an infected place on your torso. The fluid is looked at nether a microscope or sent to a lab for testing.
Find a dispensary near you lot where you can become tested for STIs. Find a clinic near you where y’all tin become vaccines for hepatitis B and homo papillomavirus (HPV).
Does a Pap test screen for STIs?
No. Pap testing is mainly used to expect for cell changes that could be cancer or precancer. However, your dr. may test you for HPV in improver to doing the Pap test if you are older than 30.
If you lot want to be tested for STIs, you must ask your doctor or nurse.
Do I need to become tested for STIs?
If you are sexually active, talk to your doc or nurse about STI testing. Which tests you will need and how oftentimes you need to get them will depend on you lot and your partner’s sexual history.
You may feel embarrassed or that your sexual practice life is too personal to share with your doctor or nurse. Only being open and honest is the only mode your doctor can help accept care of yous. Observe out what screening tests you may need. And then talk to your doctor or nurse about what tests make sense for you.
How tin I get free or depression-price STI testing?
How are STIs treated?
For some STIs, treatment may involve taking medicine past rima oris or getting a shot. For other STIs that can’t be cured, like herpes or HIV and AIDS, medicines can help reduce the symptoms.
If I have an STI, does my partner have it too?
Maybe. If the tests prove that you have an STI, your physician might want your partner to come in for testing. Or the doctor may give you a medicine to take home for your partner.
The STI may have spread to you or your partner from a former sex partner. This is why it is important to become tested after each new sexual activity partner. Also, if you lot test positive for certain STIs (HIV, syphilis, or gonorrhea), some cities and states require yous (or your dr.) to tell whatsoever past or current sex partners.
Exercise medicines sold over the Internet forbid or care for STIs?
No. Only employ medicines prescribed or suggested by your doctor.
Some drugs sold over the Internet claim to prevent or treat STIs. And some of these sites claim their medicines work meliorate than the medicines your doctor prescribes. Only in virtually cases this is not true, and no ane knows how safe these products are or fifty-fifty what is in them.
Buying prescription and over-the-counter drugs on the Internet ways you may not know exactly what you’re getting. An illegal Internet pharmacy may effort to sell you unapproved drugs, drugs with the wrong active ingredient, drugs with too much or too little of the active ingredient, or drugs with dangerous ingredients.
How can I prevent an STI?
The best mode to prevent an STI is to not have vaginal, oral, or anal sexual activity.
If yous practise have sex, lower your take chances of getting an STI with the following steps:
- Get vaccinated. There are vaccines to protect against HPV and hepatitis B.
- Apply condoms. Condoms are the best way to forestall STIs when y’all have sex. Because a man does non need to ejaculate (come up) to give or get some STIs, make sure to put the condom on earlier the penis touches the vagina, mouth, or anus. Other methods of birth command, like nativity control pills, shots, implants, or diaphragms, will non protect you lot from STIs.
- Go tested. Be sure you lot and your partner are tested for STIs. Talk to each other about the test results before you have sex.
- Be monogamous. Having sex with just 1 partner can lower your take a chance for STIs. After being tested for STIs, be true-blue to each other. That means that you have sexual activity only with each other and no one else.
- Limit your number of sexual activity partners. Your run a risk of getting STIs goes up with the number of partners you have.
- Do not douche. Douching removes some of the normal leaner in the vagina that protects you from infection. This may increase your risk of getting STIs.
- Exercise not abuse booze or drugs. Drinking too much alcohol or using drugs increases risky behavior and may put y’all at risk of sexual attack and possible exposure to STIs.
The steps work best when used together. No single step can protect you from every single type of STI.
What research is being done on STIs and women?
Inquiry on STIs is a public health priority. Research is focused on prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Researchers are looking at ways to prevent STIs with vaccines and microbicides. A microbicide is a gel or a cream that can exist practical within the vagina or anus to protect against STIs, including HIV.
- Scientists are working on vaccines to prevent HIV and herpes infections.
- Many women practice non show any signs or have any symptoms for certain STIs, or take very mild symptoms that can exist mistaken for other things. Researchers are studying the reasons why many STIs have no symptoms, which tin can filibuster diagnosis.
Learn more about current research on STIs at clinicaltrials.gov.
Did nosotros answer your question almost STIs?
Which of the Following Activities Can Spread an Sti